Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Earl Grey Tea Scones

Last weekend I did a trial run for some of the treats I’m planning to make for my daughter, G’s, birthday.  She’s turning 10 (yikes!) and celebrating by inviting a handful of her girlfriends to a spa-themed slumber party.  We decided on the dinner menu: homemade macaroni and cheese with spinach and bacon and, of course, chocolate cake.

Breakfast was another matter.  In past years I’ve made pancakes, but the girls are often reluctant to sit still long enough to eat them.  This year I decided to have more portable offerings, and scones fit the bill.  Before I go too much further, I should confess that I have a lot of tea - more than any sane person should have.  So, after taking a quick pantry inventory and noting the mountains of tea tins lining the shelves, it was abundantly clear that I should make scones flavored with - you guessed it, tea!

I’m happy to report that it was a delicious experiment.  I hope G and her girlfriends enjoy the next batch as much I as enjoyed this one.

Earl Grey Tea Scones
generously adapted from Martha Stewart

Makes 8-10 scones

1 T Earl Grey tea leaves (I used Earl Grey Lavender tea; I’m fancy like that)
2 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking powder
½ tsp kosher salt OR ¼ tsp table salt
⅓ cup granulated sugar
1 T turbinado sugar for sprinkling (optional)
6 T cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
¾ cup heavy cream, plus a little extra for brushing
1 egg, beaten
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 tsp Earl Grey tea leaves, crushed fine in a mortar and pestle
1 tsp freshly grated lemon zest

In a small saucepan over medium-low heat, combine the heavy cream and the tablespoon of whole tea leaves.  Allow the mixture to warm until you see whisps of steam rise from the cream.  Remove from the heat, stir, and allow to steep for 5 minutes.  After 5 minutes, strain the cream to remove the tea leaves and place in the fridge to cool.  You can also do this step ahead of time.
 

Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.

In a large mixing bowl combine the flour, baking powder, and salt.  Stir well to combine. Add the cold butter to the flour mixture and, using your fingertips, break up the pieces of butter until they’re thoroughly coated by the flour.  Stir in the granulated sugar, lemon zest, and crushed tea leaves.

In a separate bowl combine the egg, heavy cream, and vanilla extract.  Pour the liquid ingredients over the dry and stir just until the mixture comes together.  It’s important not to overmix the dough or it will become tough.  Tough dough = sad dough.

Turn out the dough onto a lightly floured work surface and sprinkle the top with more flour. Gently pat the dough into a round about ½ inch thick.


Using a biscuit cutter (or in my case a plastic cup since I don’t have a biscuit cutter), cut out rounds and move them to a parchment-lined baking sheet.

Brush the tops with a little bit of heavy cream and sprinkle with the turbinado sugar.  If you don’t have turbinado sugar you can just use good old granulated sugar.  I like turbinado because it’s extra-sparkly.

Bake for 15 - 20 minutes until the scones are golden-brown and delicious.  Move to a cooling rack.  Serve warm or at room temperature.  Store leftovers in an airtight container or zip-top bag.

P.S. They’re great with a steaming cup of tea. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment