Saturday, April 2, 2011

Egg and Chorizo Burritos


I've been feelin' the love for burritos lately. Besides the fact that I can fill them full of things I love they're also excellent refrigerator velcro - perfect for using up those little bits of things that accumulate in my fridge throughout the week. For lunch today I made just such a burrito stuffed with eggs, chorizo, and veggies. Here's a breakdown of the burrito-y goodness:

Egg and Chorizo Burritos
serves 2

4 oz. fresh chorizo sausage
1/2 red onion, diced
1/2 jalapeño, seeded and minced
1/2 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
1 small russet potato, diced
1/2 tsp ground cumin
Pinch of salt/pepper
3 eggs
1/2 tsp butter
1/4 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 tomato, diced
Large handful of cilantro, chopped
2 T sour cream
2 large flour tortillas

Remove the chorizo from the casing and crumble the sausage in a pan over medium heat.

Once the sausage is cooked through, remove it from the pan and set aside. At this point there should still be a good amount of fat in the pan (if there's more than a couple of tablespoons drain off the excess).

Saute the onions, peppers, and potato in the remaining fat; season with a pinch of salt and pepper and the 1/2 tsp of cumin.

Cook until the potatoes are tender (about 7-10 minutes). When the veggie mixture is softened, in a separate pan, melt the butter and scramble the eggs. Now that all of your components are ready you can start layering on your tortilla - eggs, chorizo, veggies, cheese, cilantro, tomatoes, and sour cream.

The best thing about this kind of meal is the flexibility and creativity it allows. I stood in front of my fridge and starting pulling out random things. If I didn't have a fresh jalapeño I could have thrown in a canned chipotle pepper (and if I did that I could have added some of the adobo sauce to my sour cream). No eggs? Substitute beans or chicken or tofu. Want more veggies? Chop up an avocado or double the peppers or....well, you get the picture.

Happy Cooking!

1 comment: